iBree Videos


Friday, July 28, 2006

Bi-Polar people are still people.

I was listening in on a morning radio show, and they were talking about the women that drowned her kids back in like 1992? They had to re-open the case cause her lawyer claimed she got the idea from a show of Law and Order, when truthfully; there was no such show on air. So she claimed the "insanity plea" cause she had been suffering from untreated postpartum depression it brought up the issue of weather she should be in a hospital or jail.

The host of the show said, (with out thinking it through I'm sure) "these crazies should be put down like a dogs". Which caused a lot of people to call in with their opinions. The female host on the show was like a voice of reason, calling him out saying "you don't know anything about mental health do you!?"
When I was listening to the callers it seemed like no one else knew anything either. People were saying, she shouldn't be put in a hospital; she should be put in jail for life or death. Callers poured in with calls about how she should suffer, and people shouldn't get to claim "insanity" saying that, and I quote "she'll be in there with them serving her "margaritas" not being punished for what she did. She'll just be released when they say she's "cured" and do it again." This lame comment actually came out of some ones thought process. Luckily, a psychology intern called in to at least set some things straight by saying. "In a couple years of her being in the institute (hospital), after being on medication, going through therapy, she's going to slowly start to realize what she had done, in most these cases the women end up taking their own lives cause they can't deal with the grief and/or pain of their actions cause it wasn't in their control...it's not a party in there, it's your own hell." Also she said, "it's is very difficult to even get in on the "insanity plea” you would have to have shown some sever symptoms in the past or obviously be out for you mind. Which in a lot of cases people show in a courtroom. Women don't often murder their children without reason - such as, postpartum or drug addiction. They don't just don't give it to anyone who asks. It doesn't work like that." When she was done talking the radio host had a kind of different outlook on it.

I had realized that by listening to "all" of the callers who had called in, they had NO CLUE about mental illness's. A girl caller had mention that a boy at her college had "went crazy" killing 4 people injuring 5 all together by running them over with his car." She said he had gotten out of his car yelling "I'm the angel of death!" then she went on to say, "I think he was Bi Polar or something." Then she said, "It just makes me sick that people like that are out there, like, I don't believe they can't control themselves. Where’s their parent?" This OF COURSE got under my skin. Me being a diagnosed Bi-Polar, knowing a lot about the illness cause it would be foolish of me to not know a dieses that pledges me.

The main thing that got me is everyone believes that these people are in full comprehension that they know what they're doing.
Wrong! If you’re in a dark place in your mind you can't just snap out of it. Yes, you can control it, but only with years of therapy and medication. Plus you must admit to yourself you actually have the problem. People can't normally see their own actions until damage is done, even then, they might not get it.
Society has a hard time upstanding people with mental illness's cause for one they don't have it or really know anyone who suffers from it. Even if they do, good chances are that that person won't admit to the problem. Or people write them off as a jerk, weird or anti social.
When I first started reading about Bi Polar I really noticed I wasn't alone in this. I notice people actions that are very similar to mine everyday. People having a hard time staying in relationships, making friends, etc. I see them party hard one week and nowhere to be found the next. I hear the sadness in their voice when they speak threw flippant thoughts and ideas. People don't like flaws. In themselves or other people. The weak with be ripped apart and everyone is left behind.
The girl also said. "Where are the parents?" 99% of the time the parents are just as bad with years of un treated mental illness; which leads to over spending, alcohol addiction, drug addiction, divorce or death to suicide. Which always gives the kids an unbalanced home. A broken home. These kids grow up with abandonment issues. The people who are supposed to raise them aren't. In nature, life doesn't teach itself to live. If kids miss steps in the process they can't make the depiction between right and wrong. Those kids will grow up to do the same thing as their parents, raising kids to do the same. UNLESS someone steps in to help.

People don't realize that not just family, parents can help. A strong support from anyone helps. Kids need to know that there safe. Without that security they fight or kill themselves believing there's no hope.

This all I know, because I live it. This is me, this is them and everyone with a mental illness. It's not a common cold, you can't cure it. Except it and help others. Get off your high horse and for once think about something other then yourself. Be kind to for neighbor, they could be hurting.

No comments: